Copyright      Wrentham Parish Council

Welcome to Wrentham

Minutes of the Annual Parish Meeting held at the Village Hall at 7.30pm on

Monday 24th April 2017


Present:  The Chairman – Mr Ian Watson

Councillors – Mr Mark Buxton, Mrs Caroline Grantham, Mr Roger Middleditch, Mr Keith Perry, Mr David Reeves, Mrs Nuala Wilson.

The Clerk – Mrs Frances Bullard

Suffolk County Council – Cllr Tony Goldson

Waveney District Council – Cllr Craig Rivett

6 members of public at start of meeting


 1  APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

 Apologies were received and accepted from Miss Alison Evans, Mr David Fletcher, Mr Dale Goldsmith, Mrs Lucinda Hutson & Mr Paul Tyack.

 

2  MINUTES OF PREVIOUS ANNUAL PARISH MEETING

 The minutes of the meeting held on 16th April 2016, having previously been circulated, were approved and signed by The Chairman at the meeting in May 2016 to allow them to be in the public domain in a timely manner.


3 MATTERS ARISING

 None.

 

4  PARISH COUNCIL CHAIRMAN’S REPORT

 Mr Watson read his report as below –

Wrentham is a parish of around 966 people and 484 dwellings. My report for the year to March 2017 is divided into the following four areas:

Parish council meetings and our approach

 We have moved the monthly meeting to a larger room to make it more comfortable for members of the public to attend.

 We have looked to residents for their ideas and views which, amongst other things resulted in: The Village litter pick held in the last week of March, the play facility survey, led by Councillor Paul Tyack and daffodil bulb planting, led by Jackie Wynn from Bonsey Gardens.

 To allow our parish council to run more efficiently we have provided a contact list to enable people to contact relevant authority departments directly with issues and only escalating them to the council’s attention when actions have not been taken.

 We have introduced a Co-Option policy

Community Support

 Traffic and speeding is one of our biggest issues. Councillor Mark Buxton has given up his time to reposition the VAS every few weeks and download traffic data, producing monthly reports and sharing data with community safety team. We have amassing a valuable database of traffic volumes and speeds. Speed reduction will continue to be a high priority for the parish.

 Over the year, we have provided increased financial support to the village hall mainly for capital and repairs projects and to the Youth Club. Both at the heart of the community

 We have supported the defibrillator project led by Sheila Worts which should be installed in the coming weeks.

 We have taken on responsibility for the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) funds and actively looked at ways of using this and the Section 106 money in a fair way for the parish.  Funds have been used to provide for extra litter and dog waste bins and a contribution towards the village projector for use in the village hall and film club.

Finance

 We have completed our first full year with computerised accounts on sage and delivered a balanced budget.

 The Parish Council have oversite and responsibility for the Village Hall. Village hall accounts are now aligned with our parish council accounts and their new treasurer Maureen Reeves has done an excellent job in bringing the accounts up to date and has engaged an external local accountant, Rosie Carter, to perform a financial review.

Conclusion and thanks

The work of the Parish Council is a team effort. I would like to thank all our councillors for undertaking their voluntary role in putting something back into the community, our Vice Chairman David Reeves for his long serving support and to our Parish Clerk Frances Bullard for her professional support during the year.  I would also like to recognise the monthly attendance and support from our County Councillor Tony Goldson and District Councillor Craig Rivett.


5  PARISH COUNCILS DRAFT FINANCIAL REPORT

Internal Audit has been completed by Mr Mike Wills.  Year End Accounts along with budget sheet were distributed – these were approved under item 8.7 of the Parish Council Meeting & will be published in accordance with the Transparency Code.  The Clerk will progress the external audit.


6  ACCOUNTS OF WRENTHAM PAROCHIAL CHARITIES

Accounts were presented by Mr Reeves.  Total funds available £59,264.31.  During the last accounting year a total of £1800 has been used to assist two residents qualifying for aid from the charity.  Requests for assistance for those in need are welcomed & treated with total confidentiality. This is advertised in Wren magazine & PC noticeboard.   


7  DRAFT ACCOUNTS OF WRENTHAM VILLAGE HALL

Mr Reeves presented the draft accounts to 31.3.17.  These are now in line with the PC accounting period.  Mr Watson said these are now far more professional and well presented – he asked that thanks be passed to Mrs Maureen Reeves for her work as Treasurer.   


8  REPORTS FROM LOCAL ORGANISATIONS

Reports were read in full.  Copies are available from The Clerk if required.


Community First Responders – Mrs Pat Seaman

Community First Responders are a dedicated team of volunteers who are trained to support the ambulance service. With the ever increasing demands on the NHS they are relied upon to arrive first on scene at local incidents. Primarily set up as a lifesaving force, training now also enables them to attend paediatric, mental health and first aid emergencies. Safeguarding training also enables them to detect and report abuse in all its forms. The group was formed in Wrentham ten years ago covering the local area, it now covers a much wider area from Kessingland down to Dunwich and Halesworth to Beccles and all areas in between. Chris is the local responder living in the village his main areas are Wrentham, Kessingland, Reydon and Southwold.

Over the past year they have attended 443 emergencies, (39 of those in Wrentham) and 18 cardiac arrests. They haven't had to replace any major parts of their kit, but several items have become outdated and they have been on a mission to raise funds over the past few months. With thanks to sponsorship from local firms and kind donations they have managed to raise £4,500 which has enabled purchase of 4 new defibs, uniforms and car signage, but they still need another £2,000 to update other equipment.  Mrs Sheila Worts held a jumble sale which raised £400. As more and more defibs are being installed in villages and workplaces First Responders are often invited into schools and clubs to give talks and demonstrations on CPR to give a bit of confidence if the need should arise to use it.

Being in such a rural area, the importance of a fast response to an emergency is crucial as early intervention can literally mean a matter of life or death.


St Nicholas Church Wrentham – Miss Alison Evans  

2016/17 was a year of mixed blessings.  Since the retirement of The Reverend Leonard Payne at the end of January 2016, the Wrentham Benefice, consisting of St. Nicholas Wrentham, St. Andrew’s Covehithe, All Saints Frostenden, and St. Mary’s Henstead, has been in an interregnum. Services have been held regularly with the help of several retired local clergy. Our grateful thanks go to The Rev’d. Eric Doré, The Rev’d. Barrie Slatter, The Rev’d. Michael Reavil, The Rev’d. Peter Trendall, The Rev’d John Loftus, and The Rev’d. Canon Paul Nelson. If there is no priest available for the weekly Sunday morning service, the service is then lay-led. The numbers in the congregation have varied throughout the year, the number on a ‘normal’ Sunday has been low. During 2016, there were 4 Baptisms, 1 Wedding and 4 Funerals. The Wrentham Band continue to play for the, now popular, Remembrance Day Service in November and The Carol Service in December. They had been invited to play for the Harvest Festival Service in October. The Parochial Church Council consisted of Tony Albone Churchwarden, Lindsay Hanger PCC Secretary, Alison Evans Organist, Safeguarding Officer and Church Correspondent and Dr. Nigel Drane, Electoral Roll Officer. There are 10 people on the Electoral Roll. There have been no major repair works on the building over the year. Work on repairing the steps up to the War Memorial in the Churchyard was begun by Nimbus and Brian (voluntarily and without any remuneration). In the better weather in 2017 they will be re - pointing the steps. Our most grateful thanks to them. In July, with an enormous amount of help from The Rev’d. Barrie Slatter and Alison Evans, a ‘Creation in Creativity’ weekend was held in which the skills and talents of many local people were displayed. This proved very popular and created a ‘buzz’ around the community. There was art work, needle work, textiles, designs, photography and word work, including a hand-made spinet, exhibited. What talent within our village! Much needed funds for the church were raised from donations and the light refreshments available. A similar exhibition is to be repeated in July 2017 because of the success this one was. In 2017 we hope for the appointment by Bishop Martin of St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich of a Priest for the Wrentham Benefice.


Wrentham Community Speedwatch – Mrs Alison Hickford

The team  welcomed another volunteer, Dale Goldsmith, in September 2016 so that increases the total number of volunteers now to 6 but as  half the team work full time, our availability some weeks is very limited so more volunteers would be appreciated. We have continued to share the gun with Reydon since last year’s Report trying to go out once a week every two months and have recorded a total of 86 vehicles driving above 36 mph.  We learnt recently that the Reydon group has been given its own speed gun so we have the sole use now of the gun in our possession which will obviate the necessity of changing all the gear around every couple of months and hopefully, we’ll be able to make full use of it throughout the year, weather permitting.  We had a problem with the gun measuring the speed properly so Mark Buxton kindly arranged for its repair in June 2016.  The circuit board was replaced and the gun is now in full working order again. We were informed in June 2016 that our sites at either end of the village on the A12 had not been authorised correctly by the previous Safer Neighbourhood Team Officer so we had to apply again to use these locations.  We have been given permission now to stand opposite the Old School towards the southern end of the A12 but the site at the northern end was denied on the grounds that there was not a suitable place 300 metres from the derestriction sign. An Annual Meeting at Lowestoft was held on April 18th for all volunteers from the surrounding areas which gave an opportunity to be brought up to date with any new procedures and equipment and also to share experiences with other teams.


Village Hall – Mr David Reeves

The Village Hall Management Committee is a sub- Committee of the Parish Council who are the Village Hall Sole Trustee’s. The Parish Council has continued to give financial support to the Village Hall management Committee over the past year. This has enabled projects to be undertaken to refurbish the Hall. A Wi Fi Internet Connection has been installed in the Hall which has allowed a Computer Club to be established which provides help and tutorial instruction to  people on the use of various computer equipment and mobile phones etc. This also has allowed the Parish Council to be able to down load Planning applications and Drawings to be projected onto a screen in the meeting room. The Village Cinema Club has held film shows each month, A recent application for funding for a new Projector has been successful and with Support from the British Film institute, Solebay Lions Club, Adnams Plc, and the Parish Council. Financial support from the Parish Council to the Village Hall within the Parish Council Budget for the forthcoming year 2017/18 will allow essential improvements and maintenance work. During the past year repairs maintenance work has been carried to the following. South end Gable End Wall brick work has been repaired. New Toilet Cisterns have been fitted to the toilets. The Main Hall was floor which was sanded and resealed in 2015,is in need of further attention. The main hall ceiling lights have had replacement LED light bulbs fitted, and the Wall notice boards have been recovered using Blue Hessian fabric.  Perimeter Fencing repairs along the side of the “Run” have been carried out by the “Pay Back Scheme”.  Recent Sewer blockages revealed a broken drain pipe from the kitchen under the veranda pathway, also conifer tree roots causing a blockage in a concealed sewer manhole near the Factory Shop boundary. In the Main Hall the wall boards have been recovered using Blue Hessian.  In July the Treasurer Steve Tomlinson resigned and Maureen Reeves offered to undertake the duties of being Treasurer and was duly elected. The Village Hall 100 Club Lottery was launched in January 2017 and has approximately 100 members. There are 3 Draws held during the year with prizes of £100, £50 and £25. Plans for work to be carried out in the future include refurbishment of the Kitchen with Plans and financial grant applications having been made. Also to provide the Fire Door Exits with Ramps for disabled persons to escape safely from the Games room and Main Hall via the fire escape doors. Plans to repaint the walls in the Main Hall, and also replace the Main Entrance doors. The Hall is used by a wide range of hirers T4T social gathering on Monday mornings. Youth Club on Friday evenings, Art Classes, Craft Afternoons, Lady Birds Club, Sewing Classes, Film evenings, Badminton, Dancing, Parties and many casual bookings.  We owe our thanks to the Village Hall Committee members who throughout the year work hard to maintain the Village Hall on behalf of our Village.

A member of public raised the issue of a lack of lighting of the car park at the gable end of the building – Mr Reeves will raise this with the Village Hall Management Committee.


Ladybirds – Mrs Nuala Wilson

Ladybirds was formed in 2002 we were originally a WI and were based at Frostenden village hall. In 2002 the WI members decided that they no longer wanted to carry on under that name due to dwindling members and the cost of joining so it was at that time we moved from Frostenden village hall to Wangford village hall and Ladybirds was formed, having established a new club, a year later it was once again decided to move to Wrentham as most of the members were from Wrentham and none from Wangford and so the move to Wrentham occurred in 2003. We have now been in existence for 15 years  and our membership is in the region of 26 we meet on the 4th Tuesday of every month except for August when we have no meeting. Our meetings vary from excellent speakers to craft demonstrations and outings. Everyone is welcome and a years’ membership is £15.


Youth Club – Mr Eric Sewell

It has been another busy year for Stephen, myself and the youth work team. So much that our team now consists of another 4 helpers on a regular basis. Over the past year we have now had a foot fall of over 1,144 young people. Our members are not just from Wrentham. Out of those which have currently completed membership forms :-

Blyford       4%

Brampton   6%

Frostenden 3%

Reydon       32%

Wrentham  55%

During the past twelve months yet again many varied activities have taken place on youth Club nights. These range from indoor hockey, mind games, various sports events, cooking, Scavenger hunts, Challenge the youth worker team, various “guess what I’m eating” competitions, various “Feely Boxes” and most recently dancing competitions on the wii.  On behalf of the youth work team I would like to thank the Parish Council, the parents and all the people who have donated money to keep the project running. We are very lucky to be able to work with a great bunch of young people and they really appreciate the project.  (I am typing this on Good Friday, our normal youth club evening, I have had 4 young people asking if youth club is on tonight!!!)


Wrentham Tennis Club – Ms Jane Temple

The tennis season is just about to get underway again.  We held a Spring Clean session today and the "old faithful" turned up to clean and tidy the courts and the clubhouse.  The courts are in super condition, helped by the removal, a couple of years ago, of the pine trees which were alongside one of the courts. We gained a few new members last year and hope to do so again this year also.  However, at the same time, some players did not renew membership and so the membership is still very low.  At £60 per adult (which includes any children) fees are relatively low compared with other tennis clubs.  Due to low membership, Wrentham has entered only one team to play in the Lowestoft League this year. We are looking forward to a good season.


Wrentham Bowls Club – Mrs Edna Utting

The Bowls Club has 41 paid up members some of whom played in the following leagues:

1 team in the Benacre League

1 team in the Halesworth three-wood League

1 team in the Beccles League

1 team in the Sunshine League

The Club also enters teams in the Suffolk Senior Cup, Easey Cup, Benevolent Cup and the Johnson Cup.  Last year I reported that 2015 was the first year for many years that the Club did not have a county champion.  Well, things have changed and Paul Utting, John Hurren and Andrew Burch won the three wood triples and represented Suffolk up at Skegness in the National Finals last August.    The Club finished as runners-up in Division I of the Benacre League and third in Division I in the Beccles League.   We also won the Easey Cup by beating Beccles Town “A” in the Final at Kessingland Bowls Club.    This is a marvellous achievement for such a small Club. On the 17th April 2016, we planned to opened the Green to mark the beginning of this season, and members would have played in a Drive and the winner presented with the Geoffrey and Ann Sallows Memorial Shield.   However, unfortunately, the weather was not kind and we could not play.   The Drive was, therefore, played at a later date.     This year we will be opening the green on 23rd April and it is hoped that Lucinda Hutson, our President, will be able to present the winner with the Geoffrey and Ann Sallows Memorial Shield. Our Open-Pairs Tournament will be held on Sunday 28th May 2017.   The winners of this tournament receive £100 and there are cash prizes for the runners-up and third place.  Luckily we are normally blessed with good weather and hopefully this year will be no exception.  On Tuesday mornings members and non-members meet to play in an open-drive.   They play three games of six ends and after the first two games they stop for coffee and biscuits.   Everyone is welcome to come and join in and would be given a warm welcome.  Tuition will be given to anyone who wants to learn to play.  We are always pleased to welcome new members to the Club and, again, help will be given to those wishing to learn to play.  For your information subscriptions are £40; £35 for seniors; £10 for youngsters and £10 for social members.


Time forTea – Mrs Rita Perry

T4T continues as in previous years. Our attendances are still averaging over 40 persons per week. We could not carry on with this project without the help of our many volunteers who give freely of their time and provide the many refreshments. The volunteers are entitled to claim back their expenses for providing these but no one has yet! The £1 donations from attendees have enabled us to go on several coach trips. During the last year we had trips to Somerleyton Hall, Bury St. Edmunds Christmas Market as well as holding our annual BBQ, celebrating the Queens’ birthday (a donation of £100 from the parish council helped towards the costs130 people attending), T4T anniversary and Christmas parties, hall hire and electricity costs etc. all subsidised from their donations. We have other trips planned for the current year - Bressingham 19 April and a river cruise on the Deben in July. (Yet to be confirmed). Other events include a Hog Roast, anniversary and Christmas parties etc.

Unconnected with T4T I organised a Christmas pantomime which proved to be quite successful with 140 people in the audience, raising £375 for village hall funds. A further pantomime has been booked for later this year.


A member of public spoke of the fantastic job Mrs Perry does arranging Time 4 Tea and how lucky we are to have her keeping an eye on the welfare of residents – all agreed and asked that thanks be passed to her.


Wrentham History Recorder

No report received.


9  REPORT FROM POLICE  

The following report was received from PCSO Wallace –

Total of 121 Investigations for Wrentham from 18/04/2016 to 20/04/2017, which breaks down as follows:: ASSAULTS - 18   DOMESTIC ABUSE - 6   CRIMINAL DAMAGE - 15  HARASSMENT – 13  THEFT - 21  MOTORING - 2  PROTECTION OFFENCES 14     BURGLARIES – 14 (2 dwelling burglaries)  DOGS - 1   ARSON – 1   RACIALLY AGGRAVATIVE - 1    DRUGS - 1   OTHERS - 14

As you know the SAFECAM Team are regularly monitoring  speeding offenders on the A12.  I tried recently to obtain the figures for the village, however, we have received email to say that all this information has to be requested through the FOI act on emails Safetycamerateam@suffolk.pnn.uk or www.suffolk.police.uk .

I am in constant contact with the CSW team in Wrentham.  I understand from the Reydon Coord that they have recently obtained another Speedar device, which allow both teams to be more proactive without having to share a gun.  This last year we identified another location on the A12  (opposite the old school house) for the team to operate from.  Congratulations were given to all Suffolk Community Speed Watch teams, announced at the AGM this week, they received the Corporate Community Partnership Award from the High Sheriff.

Mr Watson asked how this compares Year on Year – The Clerk to make enquiries.


10  ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Cllr Craig Rivett gave a brief report, he has assisted in many issues this year, mostly with success.  He has also provided a solution to Covehithe regarding their Annual Parish Meeting.


Cllr Goldson gave a brief report, he said his main remit is to keep parish issues in sight of SCC.  He spoke re the success of the PC led campaign to keep the Fire station open.  He also said flooding issues on the A12 are ongoing and will require the A12 to be closed for works to take place.  He praised the Parish Council for doing a good job and is happy to support wherever possible.


Mrs Worts spoke re dirty road signs and some that are also damaged.  Cllr Goldson asked that The Clerk report these to Highways Dept.


Mrs Wynn said she feels the standard of work from Waveney Norse & Suffolk County Council is poor & lacks planning.  She feels the village is a state and residents should not put up with it.


There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.32pm.








































































































































































































Wrentham Annual Parish Meeting

#top